Learning Method: Instructor-led Classroom Learning Duration: 1.00 Day
This course is designed to teach how to communicate more effectively at work and achieve your goals. Improving Communications Skills is essential to give you both the tools you need to improve your communication skills, and the most successful strategies for using them to your advantage.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify common communication problems that may be holding them back.
- develop skills in asking questions.
- identify what their non-verbal messages are telling others.
- develop skills in listening actively and empathetically.
- enhance their ability to handle difficult situations and deal with situations assertively.
Lesson 1: Define Communication
- Assess your communication skills
- Describe the communication process
- Identify how to understand your audience
Lesson 2: Nonverbal Communication
- Identify the three parts of nonverbal communication
- Describe the interpretation of facial expressions and body language
- Describe the impact of dress and appearance on your communication
Lesson 3: Listening Effectively
- Assess your listening skills
- Identify active listening skills and techniques
- Create “I” statements
Lesson 4: Practicing Using Communication Skills
- Discuss how to establish and maintain rapport
- Practice active listening skills
Lesson 5: Communication and Leadership
- Identify the importance of informal communication
- Identify the role of communication in leadership
- Identify the challenges of communicating accurately
Lesson 6: Communicate Openly and Directly
- Assess the communication environment in your organization
- Identify the four styles of communication
- Review and assess the assertive communication style
- Review and assess the aggressive communication style
- Review and assess the passive communication style
- Review and assess the passive-aggressive communication style
- Assess you overall communication style
Lesson 7: Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Learn what feedback is
- Discover how open or closed you are to giving and receiving feedback
- Learn to give feedback to others
- Learn how to receive feedback from others
Lesson 8: Workshop Wrap-up
- Beliefs and expectations
- Points to remember